[Admin-discuss] Hey Changes

Andrew Harford receive at redbrick.dcu.ie
Fri Dec 26 02:48:56 GMT 2008

On Fri, Dec 26, 2008 at 01:15:26AM +0000, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> The log message should probably say "sent" instead of "send" , and I
> think the u->name and passwd->pw_name are the wrong way around.

Aye, that's what i'd have thought too, but the huh source is expecting
it to say send.

We realised they were the wrong way around just after I sent the mail out,
I'd only been testing it by heying myself before that. It's been fixed.

> Using syslog also means that the messages can be trivially spoofed, so
> I'm not sure it's a good idea. We basically patched write to do the same
> thing before, and since it's an sgid app, it's less prone to spoofing
> (just write to a logfile as that group).

I thought write was talking to syslog before, sending stuff into
facility local3? I don't have source for any of that though.

I originally tried to do the same thing, using local3, but syslog-ng
seemed to hate that, so it's just filtering based on the program name.

Since we're patching hey rather than write I never expected to be able
to rely on the log file as being accurate for what was written to
terminals, just to make huh work again.

I hadn't really thought of someone spoofing it, it'd be relativly
pointless though. Either way, will think more about this one. ta.

> The linecount won't be very accurate either, hey's concept of
> pages arent the same as unix lines. There's no easy way to fix that
> within hey.

Yep, wasn't expecting it to be perfect. Hasn't been wrong for me
yet though, so it's good enough.

a.

--
Andrew Harford
System Administrator, DCU Networking Society

This is a Renault Espace, probably the best of the people carriers. Not
that that's much to shout about. That's like saying 'Oh good, I've got
syphilis, the best of the sexually transmitted diseases!'
						--Jeremy Clarkson