[Admin-discuss] tunnel.redbrick

Andrew Harford andrew.harford at redbrick.dcu.ie
Tue Feb 24 22:12:32 GMT 2009

On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 08:39:33PM +0000, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 07:56:24PM +0000, Charlie von Metzradt wrote:
> > As far as I can remember, tunnel.rb brought you to deathray, which
> > was the webserver at the time.
>
> Originally every port on tunnel.rb forwarded to login:22 , so it
> had a dedicated IP. Meant a user could probe using NMAP and find
> anything at all that might be open for them, some networks allow
> bizarre things :-)

Ah, that's kinda cool, and perhaps worth keeping.

Reason I'm asking is that deathray is due a re-install in the next few weeks,
so this will have to be setup somewhere else, at least temporarily.

Ditching jumpgate when it's just forwarding two ports is kinda preferable,
since it'd be simpler, and it means fail2ban would be able to catch
the real ip address.

a.

--
Andrew Harford
System Administrator, DCU Networking Society

Never do today that which will become someone else's responsibility
tomorrow.					--David Brent