[Admin-discuss] Web Forums - Authentication and Security

Richard Dalton dfens270 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 10:55:06 IST 2010

Yeh I think I'd read that one before on setting up pubcookie and
openid. Also +1 for openid, it could be benifical for other stuff like
the wiki (which is a bitch) and whatever the members might come up
with so even if forums doesn't work out we have a nice service anyway,
and hopefully a better wiki ;-)

Also other forums worth considering, vanilla (they're on a newever
version), punbb or fluxbb (community fork), phpbb, SMF (hopefully
they've fixed all the XSS attacks and are maintained, life.dcu.ie
use?(d) that).

Dunno where SMF is seen as popular though, it's the bottom one really.
The top ones are all the others. Though vanilla might be less popular
than SMF due to it's non-standard forum ideas.

We did have a forum a few years ago. Mostly as a boards trial thing
http://www.redbrick.dcu.ie/~cammy/v/ but not many used it. Then again
it didnt have the same success as the forums. He used vanilla there.