[Admin-discuss] Minerva's Raid Arrays

Andrew Harford andrew.harford at redbrick.dcu.ie
Tue Apr 27 01:47:27 IST 2010

On Tue, Apr 27, 2010 at 01:42:25AM +0100, Cian Brennan wrote:
> Buy a new backup machine (or fix thunder if possible). Seriously, the SPC will
> have money next year, anything we do get working on minerva will be a hack, and
> an ugly one at that, and the performance on minerva's RAID controller has
> always, and will always be terrible, to the extent that its backups won't
> complete during large expires.

+1

There is also the issue of disk overhead from within the VM. I don't know
how much this is, but, i'd guess we keep severus busy 80% of the time, so
slowing it down further would be a problem.

> Remember, minerva's CPU's don't have vmx. So VM performance will suck.

Yes it does.

> Just leave them. Stick the two arrays together, offer them to users who need
> piles of space, but don't care about its speed (like dregin with his bebo
> project). They won't be that heavily used in all likelyhood, but that's far fom
> the end of the world.

There's no need for this, it's just another thing that can break and needs
to be backed up and/or managed. It'd be better to leave the disks empty as
long as there's enough space on worf for everything people need.

a.

--
Andrew Harford

Sorry Meg. Daddy loves ya, but Daddy also loves Star Trek, and in all
fairness, Star Trek was here first. 	--Peter Griffin