[Admin-discuss] Helpdesk mailman privileges and User/MySQL account?

Austin Halpin haus at redbrick.dcu.ie
Wed May 4 22:19:09 IST 2011

On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 10:13:10PM +0100, Andrew Harford wrote:
> On Wed, May 04, 2011 at 08:10:08PM +0100, Paul B wrote:
> > Evening all.
> >
> > It was mentioned in #rbadmins (half-seriously) recently that it might be
> > good to give helpdesk the mailman password so that they can deal with issues
> > that arise.
> > Not entirely sure how much this would help as it seems we don't use the web
> > interface for making new lists, but resetting passwords and changing owners
> > could still be done.
> > Any pros/cons to this that people would like to discuss?
>
> I don't see any technical reasons not to do this, mailman is pretty
> seperate from everything else. It also makes sense for the helpdesk to be
> able to deal with those kind of requests. If the admins and the helpdesk
> like the idea I say go for it.

Yeah, there's not alot (anything?) that helpdesk couldn't do that we do with
mailman. I say go for it.

> > Also was thinking of (or remembering the previous mentions of it, more like)
> > creating an account for helpdesk to use for testing stuff, and perhaps a
> > MySQL account for it, so they can mess around with settings and stuff while
> > dealing with questions without having to mess up their own account, perhaps
> > throw on a Wordpress setup and common stuff like that?
> > isaac seems to be using the newb account for some stuff like this, but we
> > can't really set up too much stuff on it or give it a MySQL account since
> > people tend to have access to it on C&S day and stuff.
> > Any thoughts on this too?
>
> Yea, no reason not to do that if it'd be useful. We have a bunch of
> testing accounts anyway, so it's not really something new.

I'm reasonably sure I suggested something like this back when i was a helpdesk
and i was told there isn't a need to reinvent the wheel, possibly bakc before
there was a newb account.

I'm glad someone else has brought this up. If this account is treated as any
other system account, i.e. securely, it should be fine.