[Redbrick-ipv6] Re: [Admin-discuss] RedBrick IPv6 Network

Colm MacCarthaigh colmmacc at redbrick.dcu.ie
Thu Dec 18 23:28:11 GMT 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 11:29:31AM +0000, Colm MacCarthaigh wrote:
> These records are all live now :) They allow you to use DNS to force
> which protocol to use. Later this evening, after it's been announced
> on .announce, the standard records like "carbon.redbrick.dcu.ie"
> and "www.redbrick.dcu.ie" will all get IPv6 address aswell, this means
> peoples own machines will decide which protocol to use automatically.

These records have now been added, and should propogate over the
next day or so.

The introduction of IPv6 seems to gone relatively smoothly so far.
Ssh's port forwarding has changed subtley, previously when forwarding
a remote port to RedBrick, ie;

   ssh -R rbport:localmachine:localport carbon.redbrick.dcu.ie

would result in Carbon listening on "rbport" on 127.0.0.1. Now
that sshd is running with the -6 argument, it listens on rbport
on the ::1 (IPv6 localhost) address instead. I don't know of a
way to change this, but then - I havn't looked yet :)

colmmacc at redbrick.dcu.ie        PubKey: colmmacc+pgp at redbrick.dcu.ie
Web:                                 http://devnull.redbrick.dcu.ie/