[Redbrick-ipv6] Re: [Admin-discuss] RedBrick IPv6 Network

Colm MacCarthaigh colmmacc at redbrick.dcu.ie
Thu Dec 18 23:37:42 GMT 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 11:30:59PM +0000, Philip Reynolds wrote:
> Colm MacCarthaigh's [colmmacc at redbrick.dcu.ie] 0 lines of wisdom included:
> > The introduction of IPv6 seems to gone relatively smoothly so far.
> > Ssh's port forwarding has changed subtley, previously when forwarding
> > a remote port to RedBrick, ie;
> >
> >    ssh -R rbport:localmachine:localport carbon.redbrick.dcu.ie
> >
> > would result in Carbon listening on "rbport" on 127.0.0.1. Now
> > that sshd is running with the -6 argument, it listens on rbport
> > on the ::1 (IPv6 localhost) address instead. I don't know of a
> > way to change this, but then - I havn't looked yet :)
>
> Excuse my ignorance, but does sshd need the -6 switch?

On non KAME (basically BSD's) it does, due to a lack of
the IPV6_V6ONLY socket option. This has been fixed in kernel
since 2.4.20, but the system headers don't define it, so
we'd need to patch the system headers and then recompile
ssh :/

colmmacc at redbrick.dcu.ie        PubKey: colmmacc+pgp at redbrick.dcu.ie
Web:                                 http://devnull.redbrick.dcu.ie/